[Numpy-discussion] pyc and pyo files in dmg and other python3 questions also a dmg for python3.1 to try

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 14 09:20:27 EST 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Vincent Davis <vincent at vincentdavis.net>wrote:

> The questions below regard the osx dmg installer, not sure about how
> this applies to other installers.
>
> I noticed that pyc and pyo files are included in the binaries. Is
> there a reason for this? I have removed them in the dmg for python3.1

Some reasons I can think of are reducing startup time, avoiding permissions
issues for writing .pyc or .pyo files, and consistency (you're sure all
installs have the same .pyo files).

> I see that f2py is installed in /usr/local/bin/. f2py is also located
> in versions/2.7/bin/ but I am not sure when it gets installed there
> (versions/2.7/bin/) and why id does not from the dmg installer. Any
> insight into this?

Should come from the installer right, where else can it come from? No idea
at what point during install though.

> What should the permissions be on the installed numpy files. When I
> install via $python3.1 setup.py install the owner = VMD(me)
> group=admin. To match the other dmg installs I have to run $sudo
> python3.1 setup.py install  to get owner=root and group=admin
>
> I am kind of working backwords. That is the
> numpy-1.5.1rc2-py3.1.2-python.org-macosx10.3.dmg was created by
> replacing the pkg installer file in the dmg from numpy/python2.7 with
> that from for numpy/python3.1 created with packagemaker gui.
> The packagemaker setup can be saved as a packagemaker document *.pmdoc
> which is just a collection of xml files. I can't find any python
> packages/scripts to edit/create .pmdoc files but that should be easy.
> Then I still need to have an automated script for the dmg
> (packagemaker only builds the installer) I have not looked for a
> python script for this but I assume bdist can be used as a guide (not
> sure about license issues) Are there better tools build dmgs using
> python?

Look at the numpy/tools/numpy-macosx-installer/new-create-dmg script and how
it's called from the paver dmg task. If you have an mpkg that should work
with very few changes.

> I realize there is a lot I don't know about building binaries but I am
> interested so any advice on how to proceed or what the plans are for
> building py3 binaries would be appreciated and I will try to
> contribute.
>
> Finally here is a py3 binary to try.
>
> http://vincentdavis.info/installers/numpy-1.5.1rc2-py3.1.2-python.org-macosx10.3.dmg
>
> That works for me. The only small issue I can see is that the Finder window
is huge when it opens, wider than my screen.

Cheers,
Ralf