[Numpy-discussion] Merging the refactor.

Jason McCampbell jmccampbell at enthought.com
Fri Nov 12 15:37:19 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:

> Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:24:56 -0700, Charles R Harris wrote:
> [clip]
> > The teoliphant repository is usually quiet on the weekends. Would it be
> > reasonable to make github.com/numpy/numpy-refactor this weekend and ask
> > the refactor folks to start their work there next Monday?
>
> Sure:
>
>        https://github.com/numpy/numpy-refactor
>
> I can re-sync/scrap it later on if needed, depending on what the
> refactoring team wants to do with it.

I think it's even easier than that.  If someone creates an empty repository
and adds me (user: jasonmccampbell) as a contributor I should be able to add
it as a remote for my current repository and push it any time.

That said, it might make sense to wait a week as Ilan is working on the
merge now.  Our plan is to create a clone of the master repository and
create a refactoring branch off the trunk.  We can then graft on our current
branch (which is not connected to the master trunk), do the merge, then push
this new refactor branch. This keeps us from having a repo with both an old,
un-rooted branch plus the new, correct refactor branch.

I'm open either way, just wanted to throw this out there.

Jason