[Numpy-discussion] Fourier transform

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 18:12:56 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Pascal <pascal22p at parois.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have an idea how fft functions are implemented? Is it pure
> python? based on BLAS/LAPACK? or is it using fftw?
>
> I successfully used numpy.fft in 3D. I would like to know if I can
> calculate a specific a plane using the numpy.fft.
>
> I have in 3D:
> r(x, y, z)=\sum_h^N-1 \sum_k^M-1 \sum_l^O-1 f_{hkl}
>  \exp(-2\pi \i (hx/N+ky/M+lz/O))
>
> So for the plane, z is no longer independant.
> I need to solve the system:
> ax+by+cz+d=0
> r(x, y, z)=\sum_h^N-1 \sum_k^M-1 \sum_l^O-1 f_{hkl}
>  \exp(-2\pi \i (hx/N+ky/M+lz/O))
>
> Do you think it's possible to use numpy.fft for this?

I'm not clear on what you want to do here, but note that the term in the in
the exponent is of the form <k, x>, i.e., the inner product of the vectors k
and x. So if you rotate x by O so that the plane is defined by z = 0, then
<k, Ox> = <O.T, x>. That is, you can apply the transpose of the rotation to
the result of the fft.

Chuck