[Numpy-discussion] Interpolation question

Andrea Gavana andrea.gavana at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 17:40:15 EDT 2010

Hi All,

On 28 March 2010 22:14, Pierre GM wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2010, at 4:47 PM, Andrea Gavana wrote:
>> HI All,

>> It seems like this whole interpolation stuff is not working as I
>> thought. In particular, considering scalar-valued interpolation (i.e.,
>> looking at the final oil recovery only and not the time-based oil
>> production profile), interpolation with RBFs is giving
>> counter-intuitive and meaningless answers. The issues I am seeing are
>> basically these:
>
> Which is hardly surprising: you're working with a physical process, you must have some constraints on your parameters (whether dependence between parameters, bounds on the estimates...) that are not taken into account by the interpolation scheme you're using. So, it's back to the drawing board.

The curious thing is, when using the rbf interpolated function to find
a new approximation, I am not giving RBFs input values that are
outside the bounds of the existing parameters. Either they are exactly
the same as the input ones (for a single simulation), or they are
slightly different but always inside the bounds. I always thought
that, at least for the same input