[Numpy-discussion] Why this Difference in Importing NumPy 1.2 vs 1.4?

PHobson at Geosyntec.com PHobson at Geosyntec.com
Fri Mar 26 22:22:49 EDT 2010

Wayne,

The current release of Scipy doesn't work perfectly well with Numpy 1.4.

On my systems (Mac OS 10.6, WinXP, and Ubuntu), I'm running Numpy 1.4 with the current Scipy on Python 2.6.4. I get the same error you describe below on the first attempt. For some reason unknown to me, it works on the second try.

Switching to Numpy 1.3 is the best solution to the error.

-paul

From: numpy-discussion-bounces at scipy.org [mailto:numpy-discussion-bounces at scipy.org] On Behalf Of Wayne Watson
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2010 5:44 PM
To: numpy-discussion at scipy.org
Subject: [Numpy-discussion] Why this Difference in Importing NumPy 1.2 vs 1.4?

I wrote a program in Python 2.5 under Win7 and it runs fine using Numpy 1.2 , but not on a colleague's machine who has a slightly newer 2.5. We both use IDLE to execute the program. During import he gets this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator.DavesDesktop\My Documents\Astro\Meteors\NC-FireballReport.py", line 38, in <module>
    from scipy import stats as stats # scoreatpercentile
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\__init__.py", line 7, in <module>
    from stats import *
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\stats.py", line 191, in <module>
    import scipy.special as special
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\special\__init__.py", line 22, in <module>
    from numpy.testing import NumpyTest
ImportError: cannot import name NumpyTest

Comments?

           Poisoned Shipments. Serious illegal waste dumping may be

           occuring in the Meditrainean. Radioactive material,

           mercury, biohazards. -- Sci Am Mag, Feb., 2010, p14f.

                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/<http://www.speckledwithstars.net/>>