[Numpy-discussion] Help!!! Docstrings overrun by markup crap.

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Sun Mar 21 09:43:34 EDT 2010

On 3/21/2010 12:24 AM, Charles R Harris wrote:
> I really, really want to get rid of the asterisks, they are ugly and
> distracting (IMHO).

I agree, which is why my deflist example did not use asterisks.
I consider it readable and only very slightly verbose.  (The blank
lines are needed by reST, but the whole example is still only
14 lines long.)

I also like `if` much better than `<>`,
which I also find visually distracting.

fwiw,
Alan

PS A more compact example:

q, r if mode = 'full':
    - q : ndarray of float or complex, shape (M, K)
    - r : ndarray of float or complex, shape (K, N)
r if mode = 'r':
    - r : ndarray of float or complex, shape (K, N)
a2 if mode = 'economic':
    - a2 : ndarray of float or complex, shape (M, N)

K = min(M, N).
The diagonal and the upper triangle of `a2` contains `r`,
while the rest of `a2` is undefined.