[Numpy-discussion] masked constant

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 17:42:31 EDT 2010

I'm about to commit some changes in the numpy trunk regarding the masked constant. Namely, 'masked' is now its own object. It inherits from MaskedArray, but doesn't have a fill_value and is represented slightly differently:
>>> repr(ma.masked)
'masked'
The reason behind that is to reduce the headaches of new users (who tend to wonder why a masked item has a different fill_value than the original array (that's because it's a *constant*)).
Any objections ? (I could have silently committed that a while ago, but I don't want to mess w/ anybody's  supplies of chill-pills...)
P.