[Numpy-discussion] floating point arithmetic issue

Guillaume Chérel guillaume.c.cherel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 08:21:23 EDT 2010

  Hi,

Thanks for all your answers and the references (and yes, I have to admit
that I've been a bit lazy with Goldberg's article, though it looks very
thorough).

But as numpy is designed for scientific computing, is there no
implementation of an "exact type"
(http://floating-point-gui.de/formats/exact/) to avoid floating point
issues?

As for the details about my problem, I'm trying to compute the total
surface of overlapping disks. I approximate the surface with a grid and
count how many points of the grid fall into at least one disk. I use the
mod operator in a calculation to find the coordinates of the left-most
point of the grid that falls into a given disk, and I do that for all
disks. I need to use floating point numbers with this modulo operator
because I want the resolution of the grid is arbitrary.

I suppose my explanation might not be very straightforward, so if you
know of another good way to compute the surface of overlapping disks,
I'd be glad to know.

Thanks,
Guillaume