[Numpy-discussion] additions to random: innovative names vs. algorithm specification

Alan G Isaac alan.isaac at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 17:03:57 EDT 2010

On 7/29/2010 4:37 PM, Robert Kern wrote:
> this MATLAB API is deprecated

The old API has been replaced by a constructor that still takes a
string literal argument to determine the PRNG algorithm.
See the bottom of
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/math/brt5wsv.html
This approach would match my suggestion.  Even an module approach would
match my suggestion (one module per underlying PRNG algorithm).  I just
think it will pay off to avoid simply multiplying function names
(e.g., introducing znormal this year, and whatever new name next year).

fwiw,
Alan