[Numpy-discussion] 1.5 release schedule proposal

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Thu Jul 29 05:41:03 EDT 2010

> Thu, 29 Jul 2010 02:40:00 +0200, Sturla Molden wrote:

> Want to submit a patch? ;)

I had this in a Matlab MEX file I used for my dissertation. The ziggurat
is not hard to program, even for general PDFs. We could even fill in the
ziggurat table using numerical integration, and code one for general PDFs
(NumPy overhead for the tail fallback could be amortized). There is a
timing here claiming ziggurat with mt19937 is 3.9 times faster than
Box-Müller:

http://seehuhn.de/pages/ziggurat

Sturla