[Numpy-discussion] Problem with importing numpy in Ubuntu

Sebastian Haase seb.haase at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 04:29:41 EDT 2010

You should be allowed to remove anything in /usr/local without fear to
kill your operation system.
In case you miss python2.5 afterwards, you should be able to just
install it with apt-get install python2.5 at any time - it would go to
/usr/lib + /usr/bin + ...  NOT /usr/local.

It is unlikely that you ever installed python by hand into anything
else than /usr/local -- so there should be not lasting conflict.

Before deleting anything you could also check your environment variables:
PYTHONPATH should not exist.
PYTHONHOME neither
PATH should not contain /usr/local

Then, "which python" should not point to /usr/local anymore and you
should be all fine (still having "garbage" in /usr.local)

-S.