[Numpy-discussion] Datarray BoF, part2

M Trumpis mtrumpis at berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 21 13:58:28 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:56 AM, John Salvatier
> <jsalvati at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>> I don't really know much about this topic, but what about a flag at array
>> creation time (or whenever you define labels) that says whether valid
>> indexes will be treated as labels or indexes for that array?
>
> It's an interesting idea. My guess is that you'd end up having to
> check the attribute all the time when writing code:
>
> if dar.intaslabel:
>    dar2 = dar[tickmap(i)]
> else:
>    dar2 = dar[i]

My thoughts too.. it's dangerous to simply have a toggle that changes
what darr.<slicingobject>[2] means. Much safer to have slicing options
that always try to approach slicing with consistent rules.

Separately, regarding the permissible axis labels, I think we must not
allow any enumerated axis labels (ie, ints and floats). I don't
remember if there was a consensus about that yesterday. We don't have
the flexibility in the ndarray API to allow for the expression
darr.method(axis=2) to mean not the 2nd dimension, but the Axis with
label==2

Mike