[Numpy-discussion] which Python for OS X to build installers?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 23:33:26 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:43 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With only a few changes (see diff below) to pavement.py I managed to build a
> dmg installer. For this I used the Python in the bootstrap virtualenv
> however, instead of the one in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/. Does
> this matter?

Yes it does. The binary installers should target the python from
python.org, nothing else.

> For making releases, would I need the framework build? Do I need 32- and
> 64-bit versions of Python 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6?

The python from python.org do not support 64 bits (yet), so just build
for ppc/x86. I never bothered with ppc64, and I think we can actually
give up on ppc soon.

cheers,

David