[Numpy-discussion] Efficient orthogonalisation with scipy/numpy

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 22:02:37 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Charles R Harris
>> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Depends on what you want to do. The QR decomposition is essentially
>> > Gram-Schmidt on the columns. So if you just want an orthonormal basis
>> > for
>> > the subspace spanned by a bunch of columns, the columns of Q are they.
>> > get the part of y orthogonal to that subspace you can do y - Q*Q.T*y,
>> > which
>> > is probably what you want if the x's are fixed and the y's vary. If
>> > there is
>> > just one y, then putting it as the last column lets the QR algorithm do
>> > that
>> > last bit of projection.
>>
>> Gram-Schmidt (looking at it for the first time) looks a lot like
>> sequential least squares projection. So, I'm trying to figure out if I
>> can use the partial results up to a specific column as partial least
>> squares and then work my way to the end by including/looking at more
>> columns.
>>

> I don't the QR factorization would work for normal PLS. IIRC, one of the
> algorithms does a svd of the cross correlation matrix. The difference is
> that in some sense the svd picks out the best linear combination of columns,
> while the qr factorization without column pivoting just takes them in order.
> The QR factorization used to be the method of choice for least squares
> because it is straight forward to compute, no iterating needed as in svd,
> but these days that advantage is pretty much gone. It is still a common
> first step in the svd, however. The matrix is factored to Q*R, then the svd
> of R is computed.

I (finally) figured out svd and eigenvalue decomposition for this purpose.

But from your description of QR, I thought specifically of the case
where we have a "natural" ordering of the regressors, similar to the
polynomial case of you and Anne. In the timeseries case it would be by
increasing lags

yt on y_{t-1}
yt on y_{t-1}, y_{t-2}
yt on y_{t-k} for k= 1,...,K

or yt on xt and the lags of xt

This is really sequential LS with a predefined sequence, not PLS or
PCA/PCR or similar orthogonalization by "importance".
The usual procedure for deciding on the appropriate number of lags
usually loops over OLS with increasing number of regressors.
>From the discussion, I thought there might be a way to "cheat" in this
using QR and Gram-Schmidt

Thanks,

Josef