[Numpy-discussion] logic problem

Warren Weckesser warren.weckesser at enthought.com
Mon Jan 18 14:18:11 EST 2010

Ernest Adrogué wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is hard to explain. In this code:
>
> reduce(np.logical_or, [m1 & m2, m1 & m3, m2 & m3])
>
> where m1, m2 and m3 are boolean arrays, I'm trying to figure
> out an expression that works with an arbitrary number of
> arrays, not just 3. Any idea??

If I understand the problem correctly, you want the result to be True
whenever any pair of the corresponding elements of the arrays are True.

This could work:

reduce(np.add, [m.astype(int) for m in mlist]) > 1

where mlist is a list of the boolean array (e.g. mlist = [m1, m2, m3] in
your example).

Warren