[Numpy-discussion] Stupid question (at least coming from me it is)

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 23:37:37 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 5:19 PM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Charles R Harris
>> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > chebyshev.chebdomain is the default chebyshev domain and is [-1,1].
>> > Maybe it
>> > needs a bettter name? Note that it is integer; that isn't required, but
>> > it
>> > makes it compatible with other types like Decimal that don't mix with
>> > floats. Another possibility is to make it a function so I can document
>> > it,
>>
>> That's "the problem" I'm working on. :-)
>>

> There are four variables defined
>
> # Chebyshev default domain.
> chebdomain = np.array([-1,1])
>
> # Chebyshev coefficients representing zero.
> chebzero = np.array([0])
>
> # Chebyshev coefficients representing one.
> chebone = np.array([1])
>
> # Chebyshev coefficients representing the identity x.
> chebx = np.array([0,1])
>
> And corresponding ones in the polynomial module. I can make them all
> functions if that would help, I thought of doing that in the first place...

Well, I'm documenting them at the module level, which is where some
doc on them already exists (I'm just embellishing a little for
increased clarity) and what I _think_ "we" agreed on as "what to do"
to document constants, so I don't need/want you to ("promote" them,
that is), but if you decide that you want to do it, I'm neutral
(unless it would hurt performance of course).  Thanks for the
additional info,

DG