[Numpy-discussion] [Pythonmac-SIG] 1.4.0 installer fails on OSX 10.6.2

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 7 14:16:40 EST 2010

David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:35 AM, Christopher Barker
>> In the past, I think folks' have used the default
>> name provided by bdist_mpkg, and those are not always clear. Something like:
>>

>> numpy1.4-osx10.4-python.org2.6-32bit.dmg
>
> The 32 bits is redundant - we support all archs supported by the
> official python binary, so python.org is enough.

True, though I was anticipating that there may be 32 and 64 bit builds
some day.

> About osx10.4,

As for that -- I put that in 'cause I remembered that in the past it has
said "10.5", when, in fact 10.4 was supported. Thinking more, I think
it's like 32 bit -- the python.org build supports 10.4, so that's all
the information folks need.

> still don't know how to make sure we do work there with distutils. The
> whole MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET confuses me quite a lot.

distutils should do it right, and indeed, I just tested the py2.5 and
py2.6 binaries on my 10.4 PPC machine ,and most of the tests all pass on
both. (though see the note below)

I think distutils does do it right, at least if you use the latest
version of 2.6 -- a bug was fixed there.

What OS/architecture were those built with?

> Other than
> that, the numpy 1.4.0 follows your advice, and contains the python.org
> part.

I should have looked first -- thanks, I think that will be helpful.

NOTE:
When I first installed the binary, I got a whole bunch of errors because
"matrix' wasn't found. I recalled this issue from testing, and cleared
out the install, then re-installed, and all was fine. I wonder if it's
possible to have a mpkg remove anything?

Other failed tests:

FAIL: test_umath.test_nextafterl
     return _test_nextafter(np.longdouble)
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/tests/test_umath.py",
line 852, in _test_nextafter
     assert np.nextafter(one, two) - one == eps
AssertionError

FAIL: test_umath.test_spacingl
Traceback (most recent call last):
line 887, in test_spacingl
     return _test_spacing(np.longdouble)
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/tests/test_umath.py",
line 873, in _test_spacing
     assert np.spacing(one) == eps
AssertionError

I think both of those are known issues, and not a big deal.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov