[Numpy-discussion] take not respecting masked arrays?

Peter Shinners pete at shinners.org
Sun Feb 28 20:59:14 EST 2010

I have a 2D masked array that has indices into a 1D array. I want to use
some form of "take" to fetch the values into the 2D array. I've tried
both numpy.take and numpy.ma.take, but they both return a new unmasked
array.

I can get it working by converting the take results into a masked array
and applying the original mask. But the values that are masked are
actually illegal indices. This means I need to switch the take mode away
from "raise", but I actually want raise.

I'm still new to numpy, so it's likely I've overlooked something. Is
there a masked take?