[Numpy-discussion] numpy + ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) + unladen swallow

Valery Khamenya khamenya at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 09:46:07 EST 2010

Hi all,

I know the formula works, but fail to reproduce it :)

Issue #1. the following entry from numpy installation docs is perhaps
out-of-date, at least as for ubuntu karmic:

  sudo apt-get install gcc g77 python-dev atlas3-base-dev

Neither g77 nor atlas3-base-dev are available.

Perhaps, g77 from previous ubuntu distro could work, but it would be
good to see what installation docs says about this trick.

Issue #2. The following definition of include_dirs in site.cfg doesn't
seem to be used by gcc:

  [DEFAULT]
  include_dirs = /usr/local/include:/home/me/wrk/unladen-trunk/Include

I build numpy like that:
  PYTHONPATH= ~/wrk/unladen-trunk/python setup.py build
Where the python executable is the one from the great "unladen-swallow" project.

Such invocation leads fast to the following error:

compile options: '-Inumpy/core/src -Inumpy/core/include -IInclude
-I/home/vak/me/unladen-trunk -c'
gcc: _configtest.c
_configtest.c:1:20: error: Python.h: No such file or directory

Indeed, the directory /home/me/wrk/unladen-trunk/Include isn't listed
for "-I" flag

Any hints?

thanks in advance :)

best regards