[Numpy-discussion] Updating Packages in 2.5 (win/numpy) and Related Matters

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 00:25:17 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Wayne Watson
<sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hi, I'm working on a 1800+ line program that uses tkinter. Here are the
> messages I started getting recently. (I finally figured out how to copy
> them.). The program goes merrily on its way despite them.
>

> s\sentuser>sentuser_20080716NoiseStudy7.py
> C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\misc\__init__.py:25:
> DeprecationWarning: Num
> pyTest will be removed in the next release; please update your code to
> use nose
> or unittest
>   test = NumpyTest().test
> C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\special\__init__.py:23:
> DeprecationWarning:
> NumpyTest will be removed in the next release; please update your code
> to use no
> se or unittest
>   test = NumpyTest().test
> C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\linalg\__init__.py:32:
> DeprecationWarning: N
> umpyTest will be removed in the next release; please update your code to
> use nos
> e or unittest
>   test = NumpyTest().test
> C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\optimize\__init__.py:19:
> DeprecationWarning:
>  NumpyTest will be removed in the next release; please update your code
> to use n
> ose or unittest
>   test = NumpyTest().test
> C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\__init__.py:15:
> DeprecationWarning: Nu
> mpyTest will be removed in the next release; please update your code to
> use nose
>  or unittest
>   test = NumpyTest().test
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "C:\Users\Wayne\Sandia_Meteors\Sentinel_Development\Development_Sentuser+
> Utilities\sentuser\sentuser_20080716NoiseStudy7.py", line 1993, in <module>
>     Process()
>   File
> "C:\Users\Wayne\Sandia_Meteors\Sentinel_Development\Development_Sentuser+
> Utilities\sentuser\sentuser_20080716NoiseStudy7.py", line 1990, in Process
>     root.mainloop()
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1023, in mainloop

DeprecationWarnings mean some some functionality in numpy (or scipy)
has changed and the old way of doing things will be removed and be
invalid in the next version.

During depreciation the old code still works, but before you upgrade
you might want to check whether and how much you use these functions
and switch to the new behavior.

In the case of numpy.test, it means that if you have tests written
that use the numpy testing module, then you need to switch them to the
new nose based numpy.testing. And you need to install nose for running
numpy.test()

>>       - What is win32-p3 updates ?

Josef