[Numpy-discussion] numpy 1.4 distutils install_clib when there are none?

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 11:32:04 EST 2010

I was doing the final checks for a new release of statsmodels and ran
into a problem with install_clib

I do "setup.py install" from the source or sdist of
scikits.statsmodels and the install breaks with this message at the
end

running install_clib
No module named msvccompiler in numpy.distutils; trying from distutils
error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible binaries.
Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin installed,
you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

statsmodels is pure python and there are no extensions to compile, the
setup.py file is here
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~scipystats/statsmodels/trunk/annotate/head%3A/setup.py
we don't have any setup.py on lower levels

setup.py install worked and works without problems with numpy 1.3.0

same story with "easy_install scikits.statsmodels" directly from pypi,
works for numpy 1.3.0, same error as above with numpy 1.4.0

Any ideas? Are there some configuration settings that I need to change
to install with numpy 1.4?

"setup.py build install"  works, but does it mean it requires a c
compiler for a pure python package when using numpy distutils?

Josef