Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 23:10:41 EST 2010

Hi,

> Majorities don't make numpy development decisions normally. Never
> have. Not of the mailing list membership nor of the steering
> committee. Implementors do. When implementors disagree strongly and do
> not reach a consensus, then we fall back to majorities. But as I said
> before, majority voting requires conscientious control over the voting
> membership or it isn't majority voting. The process that you
> identified as being remarkably good at maintaining shared ownership
> and responsibility isn't majority rule, but consensus among
> implementors. We just don't have that right now, but we need to get
> stuff done anyways.

I think that's right, in general, but in this case, the primary
disagreement was between David C+Chuck, and Travis, and there has been
a large weight of the contributions to the list in favor of David's
view.  Now, you might say, I don't care about the weight of
contributions because the people mailing don't implement, but that
obviously has a social cost.

All important arguments are resolved now, we've withdrawn the binary,
agreed to a next ABI breaking release, and David's happy with 1.5 as a
number, so I don't think we have to worry that discussion will delay
getting stuff done at this point,

See you,

Matthew