Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 22:05:44 EST 2010

Hi,

>> Is that a real question?
>
> Absolutely. What leads you to believe that the reasonable arguments
> aren't being heard? If one were to start a thread giving an idea and
> no one responds while vigorous discussion is happening in other
> threads, that would certainly be visible evidence of that idea not
> being fully heard. I'm something at a loss to guess how you would
> ascertain from a thread that has now gone past a hundred messages
> (most of which favor the side I presume you think the unheard
> arguments are coming from) that some of the arguments are not being
> fully heard.

Of course we were always discussing judgement calls, and these are
always going to be subjective, but I don't think that means that we
can't hope to come to a reasoned agreement.   I only wrote because I
felt that we were beginning to drift towards a formal committee-style
judgement in a situation where it has been pretty clear what the
majority view was, and that we have to be careful about that, because
it can reduce our feeling of shared ownership and responsibility - a
feeling that numpy has been remarkably good at maintaining.

See you,

Matthew