Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 20:42:34 EST 2010

I'm breaking my promise, after people wrote me offlist encouraging me
to keep pushing my point of view.

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 8:23 PM, David Cournapeau <david at silveregg.co.jp> wrote:
> Jarrod Millman wrote:
>>  Just
>> to be clear, I would prefer to see the ABI-breaking release be called
>> 2.0.  I don't see why we have to get the release out in three weeks,
>> though.  I think it would be better to use this opportunity to take
>> some time to make sure we get it right.
>
> As a compromise, what about the following:
>        - remove ABI-incompatible changes for 1.4.x
>        - release a 1.5.0 marked as experimental, with everything that Travis
> wants to put in. It would be a preview for python 3k as well, so it
> conveys the idea that it is experimental pretty well.

Why can't this be called 2.0beta, with a __version__ like 1.9.96? I
don't understand the reluctance to follow numpy's own established
conventions.

>        - the 1.6.x branch would be a polished 1.5.x.

This could be called that 2.0.x instead of 1.6.x

> The advantages is that 1.5.0

... or 2.0beta ...

> can be push relatively early, but we would
> still keep 1.4.0 as the "stable" release, against which every other
> binary installer should be built (scipy, mpl).

Darren