Francesc Alted faltet at pytables.org
Sat Feb 6 08:07:20 EST 2010

A Saturday 06 February 2010 13:17:22 David Cournapeau escrigué:
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com>
wrote:
> > I think this plan is the least disruptive and satisfies the concerns
> > of all parties in the discussion.  The other plans that have been
> > proposed do not address my concerns of keeping the date-time changes
>
> In that regard, your proposal is very similar to what was suggested at
> the beginning - the difference is only whether breaking at 1.4.x or
> 1.5.x.

I'm thinking why should we so conservative in raising version numbers?  Why
not relabeling 1.4.0 to 2.0 and mark 1.4.0 as a broken release?  Then, we can
continue by putting everything except ABI breaking features in 1.4.1.  With
this, NumPy 2.0 will remain available for people wanting to be more on-the-
bleeding-edge.  Something similar to what has happened with Python 3.0, which
has not prevented the 2.x series to evolve.

How this sounds?

--
Francesc Alted