Travis Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Fri Feb 5 22:16:00 EST 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 1:51 PM, Gael Varoquaux wrote:

> I'd like to say that I am +1 with everything that has been said
> against
> breakage.

This isn't the question at hand anymore.   The only question at hand
is what to label the no ABI breaking release.

I actually feel pretty strongly that the version should be 1.3.9 and
we should just admit that 1.4 series broke the ABI.  We didn't mean
for it to happen, but it did.

Then, people can stay with 1.3.9 if they want and those that are
comfortable with ABI breakage can use 1.4.1 and beyond.   My timetable
is:

* We release 1.3.9 within days
* We release 1.4.1 within a few weeks that keeps the datetime ABI
change and adds additional pent-up ABI changes.

Bringing in the Py3K transition discussion at this point is not
necessary, but I think the 1.5 release in May provides improvements to
the Py3K layer and sets up people who want to work on it over the
summer.

I have not heard any good arguments, yet, against calling the the ABI
compatible release 1.3.9    And what Chris said is important to
repeat:  I have never supported nor endorsed breaking the ABI at every
possible chance.   In fact, my behavior has been the opposite.  As far
as I am aware (and I'm sure Robert will point out any hole in my
awareness), the history of NumPy has been zero ABI breakage since 1.0
(that is over 3 years ago).

I do hear the majority saying "we need an ABI-compatible release" and
I agree that it should happen ASAP.   What to call it is less clear,
so I want to be very clear that I feel pretty strongly that it should
be called 1.3.9.

-Travis