[Numpy-discussion] Installing on CentOS 5 claims invalid Python installation

Roger Martin roger at quantumbioinc.com
Thu Dec 23 08:13:08 EST 2010

Hi,

NumPy looks like the way to get computation done in Python.  Now I'm
going through the learning curve of installing the module into different
linux OS's and Python versions.  An extra need is to install google
code's h5py http://code.google.com/p/h5py/ which depends on numpy.

In trying a number of Python versions the 2.x's are yielding the message
" invalid Python installation"
---------------
     raise DistutilsPlatformError(my_msg)
distutils.errors.DistutilsPlatformError: invalid Python installation:
unable to open
/home/roger/Python-2.6.6/dist/lib/python2.6/config/Makefile (No such
file or directory)
---------------

 From reading on the web it appears a Python-2.x.x-devel version is
needed.  Yet no search combination comes back with where to get such a
thing(note: I need user installs/builds for security reasons).  Where
are Python versions  compatible with numpy?

Building
	Python-2.6.6
	Python-2.7.1(fails to build)
	Python3.2beta2
numpy1.5.1
	invalid Python installation 	NA
	success
h5py1.3.1
	needs numpy
	NA
	fails

To start I need just one successful combination but will need more cases
depending on users of a new integration project.

Interestingly your numpy 1.5.1's setup is in good shape to build with
Python3.2 yet I need to allow older versions for people's systems not
ready to upgrade that far.