[Numpy-discussion] numpy installation problems

Friedrich Romstedt friedrichromstedt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 16:04:55 EDT 2010

2010/8/23 martin djokovic <martin.djokovic at gmail.com>:
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/fft/fftpack_lite.so: undefined
> symbol: vmldCos2

To me this looks familiar ... I ran into this problem usually when
having Python compiled with another compiler than the library.  In
your case, it's a bit strange, because Python distutils, for compiling
numpy, picks up the compiler used for compiling Python.  But,
obviously, the numpy .so lib loads, just the dependency not.

So I think the proposition that you have /two/ Pythons, one which you
run as user, and one which you run when installing numpy, looks not
like a promising explanation.

Can you anyway do the folling:

(as normal user)$ which python
(as user installing numpy)# which python

?

Also you can try if the "import numpy" runs well when logged in as the
user installing numpy.  But I believe it doesn't

About the Fortran compiler, don't worry.

Can you post some snippet of the build process, to see what compiler
is issued?  (I'm curious because:
1. If it issues an older "gcc" than that used to compile the .so lib
used by the numpy .so lib,
2. this would explain the load error.)

Use "python setup.py build | tee log-build.txt 2>&1" to get the full
log of the build in a log file "log-build.txt".  Let the 2>&1 alone if
you're not on bash, but then the error msg will not be logged
probably.  Don't be afraid, "setup.py build", as the name says,
installs nothing, to install one uses "setup.py install" (which in
turn triggers a build).

hth,
Friedrich