[Numpy-discussion] [SciPy-Dev] Good-bye, sort of (John Hunter)

Joe Harrington jh at physics.ucf.edu
Sun Aug 15 10:04:31 EDT 2010

While this thread is super off-topic (and long enough that I'm not
going to quote it), I'm actually finding it very interesting, as a
non-MATLAB person, to find out what I need to say to the MATLAB mafia
here to demonstrate that MATLAB has sufficient flaws and non-followers
"out in the real world" that perhaps certain classes could allow their
students to use other languages, like Python.

Could those contributing here put up a Cookbook page of "reasons why
we've moved on from MATLAB", to be used as a resource by people trying
to convince supervisors/professors/sponsors/clients that they should
be allowed to use Python?  It would be important for such a page to be
polite and not offensive to those readers, who may like MATLAB.

A similar page for IDL would be great....and did anyone notice that
IDL 8.0 has a number of language enhancements, all designed to make it
more like Python?  Sadly, they fall well short.

--jh--