[Numpy-discussion] {OT} Mailing trends

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 12:16:07 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Vincent Davis <vincent at vincentdavis.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 2:55 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> > There is a nice e-mailing trend tool for Gmail users
>> > at http://code.google.com/p/mail-trends/
>> > It is a command line tool producing an html output showing your e-mailing
>> > statistics. In my inbox, the following threads are highly ranked in the top
>> > threads section.
>> >
>> > [Numpy-discussion] Announcing toydist, improving distribution and packaging
>> > situation
>> > [SciPy-Dev] scipy.stats
>> > [Numpy-discussion] curious about how people would feel about moving to
>> > github
>> >
>> > Just out of curiosity, are there any mailing trends (top threads, top
>> > posters, etc...) provided for the Python related mailing archives?
>> > Share your comments please.
>>
>> I only know the top poster statistics for googlegroups
>>
>> http://groups.google.ca/group/scipy-user/about?hl=en
>>
>> but numpy-discussion and scipy-dev are not on google groups
>>

> Is scipy-user a google group or just mirrored?

just mirrored, original is on scipy.org

> As a side note or idea I was playing with trying to search for each function/module in the archive as a way to rank/prioritize what documentation may need improvement.
> For example searching http://groups.google.ca/group/scipy-user/about?hl=en
> 38 results for randint*
> 6,950 results for optimize*
> Of course there are many reasons an it just might be popular in example code and not really the question in the post.

I didn't know adding stars works:
12,600 results for *stats*
120  results for *stats* bug

I would guess that the most popular functions are also the ones that
are the best documented (or they are popular because they have the
least obvious API).

(for example I didn't find much on ttest,  too obvious ? except for a
possible enhancement/addition
http://groups.google.ca/group/scipy-user/browse_thread/thread/bc3c36f8908a20af/a85a5d6b7d457436?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=t_test*#a85a5d6b7d457436
)

Josef