[Numpy-discussion] numpy.numarray.transpose()

Pauli Virtanen pav+sp at iki.fi
Mon Sep 28 04:15:33 EDT 2009

Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:07:47 +0200, Michael.Walker wrote:
[clip]
> In [7]: f = f.transpose()
>
> In [8]: print f
> [[1 3]
>  [2 4]]
>
> as expected. I mention this because I think that it is worth knowing
> having lost a LOT  of time to it. Is it worth filing as a bug report?

Yes. It indeed seems that in numarray, transpose() transposes the array
in-place.

This could maybe be fixed by a new numarray-emulating ndarray subclass.
The tricky problem then is that some functions don't, IIRC, preserve
subclasses, which may lead to surprises. (Anyway, these should be fixed
at some point...)

At the least, we should write a well-visible "differences to numarray"
document that explains all differences and known bugs.

--
Pauli Virtanen