[Numpy-discussion] chebyshev polynomials

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 22:39:26 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 21:00, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> etc.
> things
> >>
> >> Just to clarify, you mean having classmethods that work on plain
> >> arrays of Chebyshev coefficients? I'm +1 on that. I'm -1 on only
> >> having a ChebyPoly class with instance methods, although it would be
> >> useful to have as an adjunct to the plain routines.
> >>

> > Let me see if I understand this correctly. You like the idea of a class
> with
> > class methods, avoiding namespace polution, but you aren't so hot on
> having
> > a chebyshev class like poly1d that contains the series info and overloads
> > some of the operators?
>
> I'm not so hot on *only* having a chebyshev class like poly1d. As I
> said, it would be useful to have one, but I still want routines that
> work on plain arrays.

So basically

 'chebadd',
 'chebder',
 'chebdiv',
 'chebfit',
 'chebint',
 'chebmul',
 'chebsub',
 'chebval',

All just taking 1d arrays with an assumed interval of [-1,1] except for
chebfit, which needs an interval, and maybe cheb{der,int,val} too also
taking intervals. Hmm, before I just had these things as a keyword variable
that defaulted to [-1,1].

Chuck