[Numpy-discussion] Deserialized arrays with base mutate strings

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Wed Sep 23 14:59:08 EDT 2009

ke, 2009-09-23 kello 10:01 +0200, Hrvoje Niksic kirjoitti:
[clip]
> I guess this one could be prevented by verifying that the buffer is
> writable when setting the "writable" flag.  When deserializing arrays, I
> don't see a reason for the "base" property to even exist - sharing of
> the buffer between different views is unpreserved anyway, as reported in
> my other thread.

IIRC, it avoids one copy: ndarray.__reduce__ pickles the raw data as a
string, and so ndarray.__setstate__ receives a Python string back.

I don't remember if it's in the end possible to emit raw byte stream to
a pickle somehow, not going through strings. If not, then a copy can't
be avoided.

--
Pauli Virtanen