[Numpy-discussion] fixed-point arithmetic

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 14:15:19 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 12:39, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Where would I find this new datetime dtype?

It's in the SVN trunk.

> 2. Don't know exactly what 'parameterized' dtypes are.  Does this mean that
> the dtype for 8.1 format fixed-pt is different from the dtype for 6.2
> format, for example?

Yes. The dtype code letter is the same, but the dtype object has
metadata attached to it in the form of a dictionary. The ufunc loops
get references to the array objects and will look at the dtype
metadata in order to figure out exactly what to do.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco