[Numpy-discussion] Numpy question: Best hardware for Numpy?

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Sun Sep 20 19:33:07 EDT 2009

On 20-Sep-09, at 2:17 PM, Romain Brette wrote:

> Would anyone have thoughts about what the best hardware would be for
> Numpy? In
> particular, I am wondering about Intel Core i7 vs Xeon. Also, I feel
> that the
> limiting factor might be memory speed and cache rather than
> processor speed.
> What do you think?

So, there are several different chips that bear the Xeon brand, you'd
have to look at individual benchmarks. But if you're concerned about
linear algebra performance, I'd say to go with the desktop version and
spend some of the money you save on a license for the Intel Math
Kernel Library to link NumPy against: http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-mkl/

David