[Numpy-discussion] Adding a 2D with a 1D array...

Ruben Salvador rsalvador.wk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 05:43:44 EDT 2009

OK. Thanks everybody :D
But...what is happening now? When executing this code:

print ' .....  object parameters mutation .....'
print 'np.shape(offspr)', np.shape(offspr)
print 'np.shape(offspr[0])', np.shape(offspr[0])
print "np.shape(r)", np.shape(r)
print "np.shape(offspr_sigma)", np.shape(offspr_sigma)
a = offspr_sigma * np.random.normal(0, 1, shp_sigma)
print "np.shape(a)", np.shape(a)
t4 = clock()
offspr[...] = r
offspr += a[:,None]
t5 = clock() - t4
print "Pythonic time (no array creation) ==> %.8f seconds" % t5
t2 = clock()
offspr = r + a[:,None]
t3 = clock() - t2
print "Pythonic time ==> %.8f seconds" % t3
t = clock()
for i in range(lambd):
    offspr[i] = r[i] + a[i]
t1 = clock() - t
print "For loop time ==> %.8f seconds" % t1

what I get is

 .....  object parameters mutation .....
np.shape(offspr) (80000, 26)
np.shape(offspr[0]) (26,)
np.shape(r) (80000, 26)
np.shape(offspr_sigma) (80000,)
np.shape(a) (80000,)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/rsalvador/wavelets/devel/testing/genwave.py", line 660, in
<module>
    main()
  File "/home/rsalvador/wavelets/devel/testing/genwave.py", line 390, in
main
    mutate_strat, tau_global, tau_params)
  File "/home/rsalvador/wavelets/devel/testing/genwavelib.py", line 299, in
mutate
    offspr[...] = r
TypeError: list indices must be integers

WTF?