[Numpy-discussion] question about future support for python-3

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 9 12:40:47 EDT 2009

Robert Kern wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 07:15, Darren Dale<dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> We aren't supposed to break APIs that aren't related to the 2-3
> transition. PEP3118 is related to the 2-3 transition. Since I'm that
> somebody that always pipes up about this topic, I'm pretty sure it
> hasn't been PEP3118-related breakage that has been proposed.

Is there a difference between changing the C api and the Python API? I'd
kind of expect that any C code is going to be broken more than Python
code anyway, so maybe that's a distinction worth making.

Or maybe not -- I suppose the logic is that the transition of user code
form 2->3 should be as easy as possible, so we don't want users to have
to deal with Python changes, and numpy changes, and wxPython changes,
and ??? all at once.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov