[Numpy-discussion] question about future support for python-3

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Tue Sep 8 18:57:08 EDT 2009

Darren Dale wrote:
> I'm not a core numpy developer and don't want to step on anybody's
> toes here. But I was wondering if anyone had considered approaching
> the Python Software Foundation about support to help get numpy working
> with python-3?

What kind of support are you talking about? Developers, money, software,
PR, test platforms ...? For quite some time we are talking about ways on
the PSF list to aid projects. We are trying to figure out what projects
need, especially high profile projects and important infrastructure
projects. I myself consider NumPy as a great asset for both the
scientific community and Python.

It's true that Pycon '09 was a major drawback on our financials. But
there are other ways beside money to assist projects. For example the
snakebite network (http://snakebite.org/) could be very useful for you
once it's open. Please don't ask me about details on the status, I don't
have an account yet. About a month ago we got 14 MSDN premium
subscriptions with full access to MS development tools and all Windows
platforms, which is very useful for porting and testing application on
Windows. Some core developers may also be interested to assist you
directly. The PSF might (!) even donate some money but I'm not in the
position to discuss it.

I can get you in touch with the PSF if you like. I'm a PSF member and a
core developer.

Christian