[Numpy-discussion] fwrite() failure in PyArray_ToFile

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Fri Sep 4 23:22:20 EDT 2009

David Warde-Farley skrev:
>> The odd values might be from the format code in the error message:
>>
>>                PyErr_Format(PyExc_ValueError,
>>                        "%ld requested and %ld written",
>>                        (long) size, (long) n);
>>

> Yes, I saw that. My C is rusty, but wouldn't the cast take care of it?
> n is of type size_t, which is pretty big, and a cast to long shouldn't
> be an issue. And if (hopefully) PyErr_Format is correct...

A long is (usually) 32 bit, even on 64 bit systems. This means that size
is casted to an integer between - 2**31 and 2*31 - 1. As 2**31 bytes are
2 GB, the expression "(long) size" will overflow if a write of 2GB or
more failed. Thus you get some bogus numbers in the formatted message.
There is thus a bug in the call to PyErr_Format, as it only works
reliably on 32 bits systems.

S.M.