[Numpy-discussion] Numpy/Scipy for EC2

Dan Yamins dyamins at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 00:29:38 EDT 2009

Hi all:

I'm gearing up to build an Amazon Machine Instance (AMI) for use in doing
Numpy/Scipy computations on the Amazon EC2 cloud.

I'm writing to ask if anyone has any advice for which (if any) publicly
available AMI I should start with.

If any one has any specific AMI's that they think are good bases from which
to modify -- or really, any other advice about using numpy/scipy on EC2 --
I'd love to know.

Beyond that, even if you don't know which AMI to recommend (or even what an
AMI is), I still would like advice about which Linux flavor to use.  I've
had some experience with Mac OSX (and, with David Cornapeau's help over this
list, I was able to build 64-bit Scipy with Python 2.6!), but I really know
nothing about what the build process is like on Linux (and most likely,
unless someone recommends a good AMI with optimized BLAS/LAPACK already
built, I'm going to have to built it from scratch).    So, should I use
Ubuntu or Debian or Fedora or Centos or ...?

Thanks!
Dan