[Numpy-discussion] Astype and strings

Travis Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Tue Oct 27 15:59:04 EDT 2009

On Oct 26, 2009, at 9:54 AM, Eli Bressert wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Is Numpy supposed to behave this like this when converting an array of
> numbers to an array of strings with astype?

In general you have to tell NumPy how big the string should be (i.e.
np.str is generic).

There are a few places where NumPy will look at the data you have in
order to guess a size, but as you've seen astype is not one of those
places.

I think astype could be fixed (by putting a special-case check in the
current code for conversion to an unspecified-length string), but that
has not been implemented.

Please file a feature enhancement issue on the Trac so we don't lose
sight of this.

-Travis