[Numpy-discussion] numpy and C99

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Fri Oct 23 10:41:27 EDT 2009

Dag Sverre Seljebotn skrev:

> Microsoft's compilers don't support C99 (or, at least, versions that
> still has to be used doesn't).

Except for automatic arrays, they do support some of the more important
parts of C99 as extensions to C89:

inline functions
restrict qualifier
for (int i=0; i<; i++)

Personally I think all of NumPy's C base should be moved to Cython. With
your excellent syntax for PEP 3118 buffers, I see no reason to keep
NumPy in C. This would make porting to Py3k as well as maintainence
easier. When Cython can build Sage, it can be used for a smaller project
like NumPy as well.

The question of using C89, C99 or C++ would be deferred to the Cython
compiler. We could use C++ on one platform (MSVC) and C99 on another
(GCC). We would also get direct support for C99 _Complex and C++
std::complex<> types.

I'd also suggest that ndarray subclasses memoryview in Py3k.

S.M.