[Numpy-discussion] numpy and C99

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 10:33:19 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav+sp at iki.fi<pav%2Bsp at iki.fi>>
> wrote:
> > Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:21:17 -0400, Darren Dale wrote:
> >> Can we use features of C99 in numpy? For example, can we use "//" style
> >> comments, and C99 for statements "for (int i=0, ...) "?
> >
> > It would be much easier if we could, but so far we have strived for C89
> > compliance. So I guess the answer is "no".
>
> Out of curiosity (I am relatively new to C), what is holding numpy
> back from embracing C99? Why adhere to a 20-year-old standard?

To clarify: most compilers support the "//" comment style, but some of the
older Sun compilers don't. The main problem on using any of the newer stuff
is portability. Some of the new stuff, like "//", while handy isn't crucial.
What really hurts is not being able to rely on the math library being up to
snuff.

Chuck