[Numpy-discussion] Using numpydoc outside of numpy

Michael Droettboom mdroe at stsci.edu
Wed Oct 21 10:29:55 EDT 2009

I'm in the process of converting a project to use Sphinx for
documentation, and would like to use the Numpy docstring standard with
its sections etc.  It appears, however, that the numpydoc sphinxext is
not installed but merely sits in doc/sphinxext.  I see that scipy uses
an SVN external to get at this stuff, but I'd prefer not to do that if
possible (my project may not live in SVN forever).  I see that numpydoc
is separately installable (it has a setup.py), but then I assume users
of my project who wish to build the docs must download the numpy source
and know to explicitly install the numpydoc package.

Are there plans to install the numpydoc extension under the numpy
install tree somewhere so that other projects can use it, simply by
having numpy installed?  This is what we do with the plot_directive in
matplotlib.  Is there a reason that's not a good idea for numpy?  Or is
there a way for my project to use it that I'm missing?

Cheers,
Mike

--
Michael Droettboom