[Numpy-discussion] NumPy SVN broken

Travis Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Wed Oct 7 22:39:33 EDT 2009

On Oct 7, 2009, at 3:06 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Looks like a clue ;)
>
> Ok, I fixed it here:
>
> http://github.com/cournape/numpy/tree/fix_abi
>
> But that's an ugly hack. I think we should consider rewriting how we
> generate the API: instead of automatically growing the API array of
> fptr, we should explicitly mark which function name has which index,
> and hardcode it. It would help quite a bit to avoid changing the ABI
> unvoluntary.

I apologize for the mis communication that has occurred here.   I did
not understand that there was a desire to keep ABI compatibility with
NumPy 1.3 when NumPy 1.4 was released.    The datetime merge was made
under that presumption.

I had assumed that people would be fine with recompilation of
extension modules that depend on the NumPy C-API.    There are several
things that needed to be done to merge in new fundamental data-types.

Why don't we call the next release NumPy 2.0 if that helps things?
Personally, I'd prefer that over hacks to keep ABI compatibility.   It
feels like we are working very hard to track ABI issues that can also
be handled with dependency checking and good package management.

-Travis