[Numpy-discussion] Python 2.6, NumPy on CentOS 5.3

Robert DeLisle rkdelisle at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 12:11:42 EST 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:

You need the *.so and not the *.so.3.1.1. The latter are enough to *run*
applications linked against the library, the former is necessary to link
against them. IOW, you need the devel packages for blas, lapack (and
python). If you want to do it without admin rights, there is no other
solution than building them by yourself.

David,

Thank you so much!  That helps a lot and I don't know why I didn't think of
it myself.  As root I'm able to install blas-devel and lapack-devel which
gives me new libraries in /usr/lib64.  Specifically, libblas.a, liblapack.a,
and liblapack_pic.a.  Now when I run setup.py from the numpy directory, it
says that it finds the libraries in the appropriate locations.

A few more issues:

The configuration complains that there are no mkl, vml, guide libraries.
Also, atlas libraries are not found.  I cannot seem to find these at this
point.

The configuration also complains about no Fortran 90 compiler.  I do have
f77 and f95 as part of the GCC package.  Is this enough.

The build and install step seems to go OK despite the above warnings but
then it fails with the error could not create /usr/lib/python2.6.  So, I did
an in place build and I see some libraries in the /build directory but there
is no python2.6 file that I can find.  What are the steps that I need to
take in order to manually install these, and which libraries should I be
paying attention to?

Just to clarify, I'm running this NOT as root in order to be able to use
Python 2.6.  I have installed Python 2.6 under /opt/Python_2.6.4 and
adjusted my own environment variables to target the appropriate version.
(This should keep CentOS from breaking by retaining the system python,
v.2.4.3.)  I've also made the /opt/Python_2.6.4 directory writable by my
user account to facilitate automated steps.

Any help you can supply is very greatly appreciated.

-Kirk