[Numpy-discussion] Home for pyhdf5io?

Albert Thuswaldner albert.thuswaldner at gmail.com
Sat May 23 05:36:23 EDT 2009

Thank you pauli for your input. I agree with you that our projects
have different goals, even if they touch on the same subject.
The goal of pyhdf5io is to provide a very simple interface, so that
the user can save his/her data. The reasone for picking hdf5 was of
course also to enable the use of the data in other programs. Here i
mostly tought on simple nummerical data, arrays etc. Not so much on
complex datatypes that python provides.

So i guess in the long term i have to also add pickling support. In
the short term i will add warnings for the data types that are not
supported.
/Albert

2009/5/22, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi>:
> Fri, 22 May 2009 10:00:56 +0200, Francesc Alted kirjoitti:
> [clip: pyhdf5io]
>> I've been having a look at your module and seems pretty cute.
>> Incidentally, there is another module module that does similar things:
>>
>> http://www.elisanet.fi/ptvirtan/software/hdf5pickle/index.html
>>
>> However, I do like your package better in the sense that it adds more
>> 'magic' to the load/save routines.  But maybe you want to have a look at
>> the above: it can give you more ideas, like for example, using CArrays
>> and compression for very large arrays, or Tables for structured arrays.
>
> I don't think these two are really comparable. The significant difference
> appears to be that pyhdf5io is a thin wrapper for File.createArray, so
> when it encounters non-array objects, it will pickle them to strings, and
> save the strings to the HDF5 file.
>
> Hdf5pickle, OTOH, implements the pickle protocol, and will unwrap non-
> array objects so that all their attributes etc. are exposed in the hdf5
> file and can be read by non-Python applications.
>
> --
> Pauli Virtanen

Skickat från min mobila enhet