[Numpy-discussion] numpy ufuncs and COREPY - any info?

Andrew Friedley afriedle at indiana.edu
Fri May 22 07:52:46 EDT 2009

(sending again)

Hi,

I'm the student doing the project.  I have a blog here, which contains
some initial performance numbers for a couple test ufuncs I did:

http://numcorepy.blogspot.com

It's really too early yet to give definitive results though; GSoC
officially starts in two days :)  What I'm finding is that the existing
ufuncs are already pretty fast; it appears right now that the main
limitation is memory bandwidth.  If that's really the case, the
performance gains I'll get will be through cache tricks (non-temporal
loads/stores), reducing memory accesses and using multiple cores to get
more bandwidth.

Another alternative we've talked about, and I (more and more likely) may
look into is composing multiple operations together into a single ufunc.
  Again the main idea being that memory accesses can be reduced/eliminated.

Andrew