[Numpy-discussion] memoryerror with numpy.fromfile

Michael Hearne mhearne at usgs.gov
Thu May 21 12:31:28 EDT 2009

I am getting a MemoryError from a numpy.fromfile() call in an
application I am trying to deploy.  Normally I would assume that this
would mean that I don't have enough memory available on the system.
However, if I run vmstat (Linux) at the same time as my process, I see
that I have 3+ Gigabytes of memory free, and no swap space being
used.  I can't think of a way to track down this problem, so I'm
punting to the list.  The only thing I can imagine is that someone
Python has been allocated X amount of space (very small relative to
the memory actually available), and is asking for more than X.  I
don't know if this is true, or if there is even a way to check it.
Sigh.

Version info:
Linux RedHat 5 kernel 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5PAE
Python 2.5.4 -- EPD_Py25 4.3.0
numpy 1.3.0

Can anyone suggest more tests that I can do?

Thanks,

Mike