[Numpy-discussion] OS-X binary name...

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon May 11 14:03:26 EDT 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Christopher Barker
>> The binary for OS-X on sourceforge is called:
>>
>> numpy-1.3.0-py2.5-macosx10.5.dmg
>>
>> However, as far as I can tell, it works just fine on OS-X 10.4, and
>> maybe even 10.3.9.
>
> I have to confess I don't understand mac os x backward compatibility
> story. Are you sure they are compatible ? Or is it just a happy
> accident ?

I can't be sure without knowing how it was built, but probably. The
python.org python was built for 10.3.9 and above, and one of the points
of distutils is to pass all the same flags along, so, unless it depends
on other libraries built only for 10.5, it should be compatible.

$otool -L multiarray.so

multiarray.so:
         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 88.3.9)

I'm pretty sure libSystem.B is shipped with 10.3.9 (or maybe earlier...)

I think a coincidence is unlikely.

>> numpy-1.3.0-py2.5-macosx-python.org.dmg
>>
>> to indicate that it's for the python.org build of python2.5, though I'v
>> never seen anyone use that convention.
>
> At that point, we could just drop macosx altogether I think.

I guess a dmg wouldn't be anything else, so yes.

 > I changed
> the name convention for scipy build scripts.

great, thanks!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov